Originally Established by the Rev. Bill Moberly in 2007, Awakening Lives to World Missions (ALWM) has as its mission “Mobilizing and Equipping Churches for Effective Global Outreach.” This ministry exists to call, mobilize, equip and network congregations in order to actively respond to Jesus’ call to take the Gospel to the nations. ALWM comes alongside local churches to raise global mission awareness and vision through the Harvest Connection Seminar. We also help congregations to form and/or develop the global mission infrastructure needed to personally engage in fruitful and strategic global mission connections with missionaries, mission agencies and indigenous leaders. Our Harvest Focus Workshop for mission teams and committees will help you focus, evaluate and be energized for your congregation’s call to the nations. Pastor Moberly’s book, Igniting a Passion for Missions, A Guide for Church Leaders, is also an effective tool for congregational leaders and pastors.
In addition, ALWM has several key international programs to help congregations connect fruitfully with global mission opportunities as an NALC Ministry Partner:
- Pastor To Pastor Teams train leaders in developing nations.
- Young Adult Missions Internships (YAMI) Launching this summer, with our first interns in 2019, the Young Adult Missionary Internship program welcomes young adults (ages 19-25) from Lutheran congregations to grow in their faith through intentional discipleship and engagement in God’s mission of proclaiming the Gospel to the world through international service. The Missionary Internship is a yearlong program that includes a time of preparation and orientation spent in the United States, 11+ months engaged in mission and volunteer work internationally, and a final period of reflection back in the U.S.
- ALWM offers Short Term Mission trips to various countries such as China, Cambodia, Mexico, Vietnam and South Africa.
- Vital Links, is our medical mission to Vietnam. VL was established by Lutheran nurses Tom & Carol Miles in 1997, and is now a ministry of ALWM. We recognize the need for enhancing education and healthcare around the globe, especially for the elderly, the poor and some of the estimated 1.5 million orphans in Vietnam. Through our local medical staff and volunteers, as well as volunteers on short term teams from the USA, our mission is to faithfully respond to that need, and to use these opportunities to share our Christian faith.
- Pastor Sam and LCMC Cambodia is a strategic ministry partner of ALWM.There are now 35 small churches of 40-70 members, and two Christian Schools. The number of house churches has doubled the past 2-3 years! We provide opportunity for partnership and relationship with this fruitful ministry in a country that is 95% Buddhist and only 3% Christian.
For more information or to connect with ALWM today, please visit: http://www.alwm.org